Meta on V & Would Buffy differ; if made at a different t

We love to hate as much as we love to love. Now you can do both, and all over the world of entertainment! Share with your Packers your very important opinions on the movies, TV, books, music that distract you from the everyday misery that is life.

Moderator: Alessar

Meta on V & Would Buffy differ; if made at a different t

Postby Kerkevik » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:29 am

Hi,

I thought of Buffy the Vampire Slayer when I was reading this but, since it's principally about the differences between the original "V" & the remake, it seemed better to place it here.

Anyway I posted this on the SlayerLit & Buffology mailing lists, and thought it ought to be put up here as well.

~~~

I realise this meta is about "V", but it is interesting in comparing the different aims and priorities in the makers of the original series, as opposed to those involved in the creation of the new. Having not seen the recreation, I can't comment on those specifically, but it does make me wonder how different a series BtVS might have been, if made in the early '90's, and not as a movie; or now, post (or rather in the middle of ) the War on Terror?

http://shadowkat67.livejournal.com/483011.html

Also, would the first season of Firefly been as stunningly good as it was, if it had just been the first; not the only, season?

Anyway, I place the essay before you in the hope of generating some discussion.

Still under Willow & Tara's spell,

Ray.
Mirror mirror on the wall
Listen to my story
Tell me who I am
Kerkevik
Narked
Narked

Postby Akeela » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:02 am

Benevolent face masking sinister design
This sure feels like all the persiflage
With which we’re now bashed
Over healthcare reformation
The show’s entertaining
Politics ain’t s’much
Neo-McCarthyism
Or so it seems
t’Akeela
Private reality is strangely significant – has been since Sunnydale and beyond.
Akeela
Official Jet Wolf Sidekick

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:02 pm

http://shadowkat67.livejournal.com/483011.html

I saw the original V series just a few months ago, its not great but watchable with a few good moments(and alot of very pathetic "imperial stormtrooper accuracy" moments) and from what sk67 writes, the remake sounds far worse, even totally BAD.

but it does make me wonder how different a series BtVS might have been, if made in the early '90's, and not as a movie; or now, post (or rather in the middle of ) the War on Terror?

Its always affected by the times its made in. But not always affected the same way so i guess you could have gotten something identical or nearly so even if highly unlikely.
And then there´s always the people behind things, some go with the trends others dont, some are more easily pressured into following whatever trend whoever pays for a series currently thinks is important etc etc...

And Firefly for example, if it had been made before Cowboy Bebop, how much would have been different(would it have been made at all)? (because i oh so totally doubt no inspiration was taken from there)
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
Pixelated
Pixelated

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Kerkevik » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:36 am

Hi,

Cowboy Bebop? Can't say I've heard of that one, but I'm prepared to be enlightened. It sounds slightly anime to my ears, but I stand to be corrected.

I believe Joss Whedon has intimated that Firfly was as good as it was because they knew they were under threat right from the start (it may even have been in one of the special features on the boxset?).

With Buffy, it would be interesting to speculate how different a show it would have been with Kristy Swanson playing Buffy, instead of SMG; or with the movie hero (I can't recall his name, but he was a generic clean cut proto-movie star type - from Beverly Hills 90210, I think?), as a sidekick, instead of Xander & Willow.

Made now, who Joss bring in to play the four main characters?

Ray.
Listen to my story
Tell me who I am
Kerkevik
Narked
Narked

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Kerkevik wrote:Hi,

Cowboy Bebop? Can't say I've heard of that one, but I'm prepared to be enlightened. It sounds slightly anime to my ears, but I stand to be corrected.

I believe Joss Whedon has intimated that Firfly was as good as it was because they knew they were under threat right from the start (it may even have been in one of the special features on the boxset?).

Cowboy Bebop is indeed anime - I've seen about half an episode, so probably the wrong person to ask, but, from what I've heard from fans, it's sort of an anime Firefly...

As for Firefly being under threat making it better, there is a certain logic there - if you don't have to save something for next season (or for the second half of this season) then you can go for broke without needing to worry about pacing yourselves...
rmsgrey

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:16 am

Yep, anime. And one of the better ones.
It can be argued wether any characters from it inspired any in Firefly, but the background world, there´s just no way so much can be so similar without having taken inspiration from one to the other.

Of course, with CB being one of the better animes around, certainly nothing bad about it. And its one of the animes i totally recommend.
( do note though that the first 2 episodes are probably the "worst" of the whole series, so some people stop watching before it gets good )

Totally possible yes.

With Buffy, it would be interesting to speculate how different a show it would have been with Kristy Swanson playing Buffy, instead of SMG

Not as good i think. I have nothing bad to say of KS or even of her role in the movie, but SMG just happened to be a perfect fit for the role.
You remember that originally SMG and Charisma Carpenters roles were reversed? I dont recall the quote but they got recast because they just fit so well into the others role, far better than the one they were auditioning for. And i think that was an excellent decision.

or with the movie hero (I can't recall his name, but he was a generic clean cut proto-movie star type - from Beverly Hills 90210, I think?), as a sidekick, instead of Xander & Willow.

Luke Perry? *shudders* That would have been just awful!!!
The original Willow was bad enough, but i think including mr "Pike"(Perry) would have shut down the series after 1st season, not a dreadful actor or anything but he was just sooo in the "wrong place" in the movie i think.
However, Donald Sutherland as watcher Merrick, he was pretty good, my guess is he could have handled that role for the series excellently (except possibly due to age, with Anthony almost 20 years younger and he called it to be straining at times).

Made now, who Joss bring in to play the four main characters?

As the people got selected through auditioning rather than preselected choice, i expect anyone who could do the roles similarly well. Though i doubt it would be easy to get an equally good team feeling.

As for Firefly being under threat making it better, there is a certain logic there - if you don't have to save something for next season (or for the second half of this season) then you can go for broke without needing to worry about pacing yourselves...

Very true. Pity they didnt get to finish the series.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
Pixelated
Pixelated

Postby Kerkevik » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 am

Hi,

"The original Willow was bad enough"

Now here I have to take issue. I really liked Riff Regan. For me she really came across well in that pilot as Willow. It's right to say the chemistry of the core four was off, as compared to the first series, but I really can't understand all those fans who say she was bad, because she was most certainly not!

Ray.
Listen to my story
Tell me who I am
Kerkevik
Narked
Narked

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:46 pm

The best description i can achieve is probably that she had zero feel for the role.

I dont know if she is and based on the original pilot i simply cant tell if she is a good actress or not...
DIREWOLF75
Pixelated
Pixelated

Postby Kerkevik » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:58 am

Hi,

yeah, I've heard that a lot. I just don't see it. I've just gone away and watched it again and, while I can see the reason why the chemistry didn't work, it's unfair to say she was bad. She's sweet, innocent (but still knowing) & very bright. It's clear that she's not in the same comedy league as AH, which is probably where the failure of chemistry stems from. To my eyes she's much prettier than AH, but that range & timing is lacking, but bad that does not make.

Check out this fic; Sisters of Paradox by Robert Black, it's a BtVS S4/Unaired Pilot / Doctor Who Books crossover (in 18 parts, the link is for the first three, just follow the links for the remainder).

http://www.altfic.com/subtextfic/buffy/ ... dox1_3.htm

It's a quite remarkable fic, which allows those who are unfamiliar with the Who books, or the original pilot of Buffy, to fully immerse themselves in the plot. In fact it's a definite candidate for any all-time best Buffy-fics list I might someday compile.

I'd be interested to know what you, or anyone else for that matter, think.

Ray.
Listen to my story
Tell me who I am
Kerkevik
Narked
Narked

Return to Mediacrity