Sarah Palin's list of books she wished to ban

We love to hate as much as we love to love. Now you can do both, and all over the world of entertainment! Share with your Packers your very important opinions on the movies, TV, books, music that distract you from the everyday misery that is life.

Moderator: Alessar

Postby Kane Magus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:55 am

Hmm.

Maybe this should be turned this into a generalized "Sarah Palin 'Appreciation' thread"? ¬_¬

To keep it on the subject of the thread (i.e. the library thing), here's an excerpt from that article I linked:

[i] The new mayor also tended carefully to her evangelical base. She appointed a pastor to the town planning board. And she began to eye the library. For years, social conservatives had pressed the library director to remove books they considered immoral.

“People would bring books back censored,â€
Kane Magus
Official Jet Wolf Sidekick

Postby Akeela » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 am

Prejudice is a major handicap in any human endeavor
I fully support any party free of th’ taint

IF one could be found

Idea suppression is evil — but worse, it’s purely stupid
Plenty of examples exist for tisk-tisking

No need t’make ‘em up

A
K
E E L A
Private reality is strangely significant – has been since Sunnydale and beyond.
Akeela

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:27 pm

Dana5140 wrote:Indeed, I have to report that this list is indeed bogus. It does comprise a list of the most frequently banned books around the country. It does not change one whit how I feel about this woman, and the utter cycnicism that went into selecting her to be one heartbeat away from the presidency. I'm not going to say anything more, because I cannot waste time on that incurious and venal politician.

Wow, if thats true i have a "feeling" that your country has a bigger problem than whoever sits in the white house.
IIRC only one to even have the authority to ban books in a library here is a court or maybe the parliament(and im doubtful on that), and not like they would ever try without some seriously extreme reasons, or they would fry very nice and crispy the next election.

Nice to hear that the Wasilla librarian at least wouldnt have any of it.
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
Pixelated
Pixelated

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 am

DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Dana5140 wrote:Indeed, I have to report that this list is indeed bogus. It does comprise a list of the most frequently banned books around the country. It does not change one whit how I feel about this woman, and the utter cycnicism that went into selecting her to be one heartbeat away from the presidency. I'm not going to say anything more, because I cannot waste time on that incurious and venal politician.

Wow, if thats true i have a "feeling" that your country has a bigger problem than whoever sits in the white house.
IIRC only one to even have the authority to ban books in a library here is a court or maybe the parliament(and im doubtful on that), and not like they would ever try without some seriously extreme reasons, or they would fry very nice and crispy the next election.

Nice to hear that the Wasilla librarian at least wouldnt have any of it.

There are ways and ways to ban books from a library - if the person buying the books refuses to buy, say, the Harry Potter books, then they are effectively banned even if they're not formally banned.

And I can't help wondering how many of those bannings are places like school libraries which are a good place for cheap victories with a minimal impact on the curriculum - a way to let busy-bodies indulge themselves in a relatively harmless way...
rmsgrey

Postby Dana5140 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:42 am

It's not quite that simple in the US. First, most librarians are members of the NLA, and this highly effective association is known for standing up for freedome of access to books. Second, in the school setting, parents can still ask that books be added ( as well as put aside, but then that has to go to the school board for approval, which makes it public, which excites controversy, which school boards hate, since it means next election they have to fight new opponents...).
He hurt my nose!
Dana5140
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Postby Akeela » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:14 pm

'keela wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:... a way to let busy-bodies indulge themselves in a relatively harmless way...

Harmless?

Book Banning
Then Book burning
Then come human pyres

Maybe not harmless after all
Only way to fight detested notions
Is to expose them to free discussion

If you disagree with me then please confabulate

A K E
K .. E
E E L A
... ..A
Last edited by Akeela on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private reality is strangely significant – has been since Sunnydale and beyond.
Akeela

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Akeela wrote:
'keela wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:... a way to let busy-bodies indulge themselves in a relatively harmless way...

Harmless?

Book Banning
Then Book burning
Then come human pyres

Maybe not harmless after all
Only way to fight detested notions
Is to expose them to free discussion

If you disagree with me then please confabulate

A K E
K .. E
E E L A
... ..A

Which of the following actually affect the average student at all?
A) Not being able to borrow Harry Potter from the school library which they never visit in the first place (what? You thought it was unrealistic that the Scoobies had Sunnydale High's school library as their private club house?)
B) Being taught that Pi is 4
C) Being taught Creationism alongside Evolution
D) Being taught Creationism instead of Evolution

It's not entirely harmless, but I'd much rather the meddlesome busied themselves with the contents of the school library that with the content of the school curriculum...
rmsgrey

Postby Dana5140 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:49 am

It's not a choice or a contest. Both are means to control what children learn, and both are damaging.
He hurt my nose!
Dana5140
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 am

It's not entirely harmless, but I'd much rather the meddlesome busied themselves with the contents of the school library that with the content of the school curriculum...

Why should you have to settle for ANY of those infringements?

It's not quite that simple in the US. First, most librarians are members of the NLA, and this highly effective association is known for standing up for freedome of access to books. Second, in the school setting, parents can still ask that books be added ( as well as put aside, but then that has to go to the school board for approval, which makes it public, which excites controversy, which school boards hate, since it means next election they have to fight new opponents...).

Hmm, it still unfortunately means local bigwigs have far too much power in a thing like this i think...

To me it seems to be strongly although often indirectly connected with USA being a rather non-secular society?
Ie people doing their own preferred interpretation of "religion" or morals(usually based on the former) and wanting to ban because of that(in opposition to those wanting more or less openness/freedom or simply has another interpretation)...
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
Pixelated
Pixelated

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:38 pm

DIREWOLF75 wrote:

Why should you have to settle for ANY of those infringements?

Because it's better to pick one's battles?
rmsgrey

PreviousNext

Return to Mediacrity