JRPG Rant

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

Re:

Postby mordiechu » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:10 pm

Yarr. I be replying to ancient posts.

Danners wrote:
Xander77 wrote:Yeah, I did notice the "ignorant arrogant douchebag" tone every so often. Unfortunately I haven't come across a reviewer or review site that reviews a game based on its content AND design. Kotaku comes close in that they do not associate a number to their reviews, simply things they liked or disliked, which I find more informative than a number. Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame also does a decent job once you look past his purposely angry tone.

In the end, I just wish reviewers would look at a game a little more critically than what they normally do.

The entire "numbering" system for reviewers is really rather pointless anyway if you're trying to associate that with how good or bad the game in question is (regardless of genre). Heck, reviewers overall are pointless if you take them all as a whole. The way you use them to your advantage is to do it sort of like what you've done above. Find the reviewers that fit your style and with which you tend to agree with often. That means you tend to have the same tastes and preferences, and likely the same peeves. At that point, the numbering system can help because a reviewer that you know and trust gives a game a high score, odds are you're going to like it as well.

It's like a sports game only player reviewing River Raid for the 2600 and giving it a 0.5 out of 10. Meanwhile a retro gamer reviewer gives the same game an 8. If you're into retro gaming, you'll probably agree more with the retro gaming reviewer rather than listening to the sports guy's ranting of the pixelated art, simplistic patterns, etc.

I tend to read Kotaku as well. I don't particularly consider it much for reviews, but I do find it to be sort of like a specialized slashdot for gamers since you'll also get news on gaming events, upcoming games, jack thompson threads back in the day before he finally pushed the bar thing too far, etc.
Mordenkainen
----------------
Currently Watching: Kanon, Negima and more.
Currently Coding: Action RPG (Atari 2600)
Live Journal:: http://www.livejournal.com/~owsf2000/
mordiechu
Narked
Narked

Previous

Return to Push Start