Valkyria Chronicles

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

Valkyria Chronicles

Postby Alessar » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:23 am

Ever since I saw the art design for the PS3 game Valkyria Chronicles I've been eagerly waiting it. A friend of mine imported the Japanese version and reported it to be a really good game. Then, recently, we got a demo on the PSN and I really enjoyed it.

The game comes out this week. This is going to be the first PS3 game I just go plunk down $60 new for!
Alessar

Postby Danners » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:28 am

I played the demo this weekend at a friend's place. A very interesting way of handling a sRPG. I've found that the whole genre has stagnated a lot and simply follows what's come before it a bit too much. While I enjoy Nipon Ichi's goal of providing sRPGs on a fairly frequent basis, I also think they have done nothing to push the genre forward at all and instead keep tacking on more complex mechanics.

Maybe I'm being a little crotchety (I AM 28 now so perhaps I'm getting old? :lol:) but to me, Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 still remains the most interesting and well balanced sRPG I've played. And why are there no X-Com, Jagged Alliance or Syndicate styles sRPGs either?

Anywho, back on topic. I found the game to be quite interesting although the "Batman Word Actions (tm)" seemed a little out of place with the beautiful painterly graphics. Although I don't think I'll own a PS3, if I did, I'd most certainly pick this game up.
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby DemonStalker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:54 pm

My housemate picked up this game, and while it's a bit silly at times, the voice acting seems solid and the game play is good.

it's the kind of game I'd buy if I had my own ps3.
Dan
Lookie, new bl0g! (Feb 05, 06)
Lookie, old bl0g! (August 22nd, 05)
DemonStalker
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Location: Your Mom. No seriously, it's a wierd little town in upstate New York

Postby D.M.Jewelle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:33 am

Danners wrote:Maybe I'm being a little crotchety (I AM 28 now so perhaps I'm getting old? :lol:) but to me, Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 still remains the most interesting and well balanced sRPG I've played.

Same here - after FFT, nothing seems to have that same pull. :( They do say Fire Emblem's as close as it gets...
"Behold the apocalypse. HEY! Did I say anything about touching the apocalypse?"
D.M.Jewelle
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Return to Push Start