Where do you get your gaming news?

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

Where do you get your gaming news?

Postby Alessar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Recently I've been reading a lot more gaming/industry news. Part of that came from sticking RSS feeds onto my Google customized homepage, and part seems to have come from getting a new system and wanted more scoop about what's in the pipeline. But after the google RSS thing, I started reading a couple sites really regularly. Then I subscribed to some free "zines" i.e., magazines delivered free as PDFs. With the hubub about the Gerstman firing, I realized that Gamespot was a site I really pretty much ignore unless a link to it is shoved at me. (I've since removed them from my Google RSS feeds because I want nothing to do with them.)

My #1 site is Kotaku (www.kotaku.com). They have pretty good stories, break news first a lot, and give respect to Shin Megami Tensei games.

My #2 is Joystiq (www.joystiq.com) and it's definitely a #2 for me. They duplicate a lot of Kotaku's stuff and are not quite as interesting. I do like their spinoff page PSPFanboy because they give out free PSP wallpapers and I like free stuff.

Coming in at #3 are the ezines I mentioned above. They're published by a UK company so the release info is a bit skewed to Europe, but a good review is a good review! The handheld gaming zine is found here:

http://www.gamerzines.com/hgzine/

and they also have zines for PC, MMOs, and various others. I give them props because in the first issue of their MMO zine they did a retrospective/review on City of Heroes and highlighted the new update and commented on how much the game's developed and how solid of an MMO it still is. On the other hand they ripped Tabula Rasa for having a bad tutorial and cooked up their own walkthrough. To me that's quality. ;)

So what do you guys read? Or where do you get your scoop?
Alessar

Postby Kane Magus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:08 pm

I get my gaming news primarily from Destructoid. Beyond that, I also check Kotaku, GamerNode, and Wired's Game | Life, though not as frequently. There's a quite a bit of overlap among all of those, but frequently one or the other will have some news that the rest of them don't. Occasionally I'll load up Joystiq, but I don't like that site as much as the others. I also check GamePolitics every once in a while, but that tends to be depressing, and usually the other sites listed above will run the bigger stories that first appear on GP anyway. And for less game-specific and more industry-in-general stuff, there's Gamasutra.

(EDIT)

Also, for reviews of games and such, I usually check both IGN and GameSpot for the more in depth stuff (though with the whole brouhaha over the recent firing of Jeff Gerstmann, I tend to take GameSpot with a even bigger grain of salt now than I used to). Game Rankings and Metacritic are good for higher level overviews of what various critics are saying about games.

There are some other sites I check for genre specific stuff as well, such as Just Adventure for adventure games, and RPGamer for RPGs.

(/EDIT)

--

Kane Magus
Last edited by Kane Magus on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kane Magus
Official Jet Wolf Sidekick

Postby Danners » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:13 am

I personally use Google Reader with a Firefox plugin that tells me when things have been updated...

Since then I've been slowly adding in feeds, but, as mentioned, they do overlap quite a bit.

Every so often I do check 1up.com. Although their reviews are, well, they're barely reviews, their special features are usually quite good, such as their fairly recent Street Fighter feature.

Also, Joystiq is my typical starting spot...
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby DemonStalker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:41 pm

I don't get too much into gaming news, so the stuff I do get, is filtered through Penny Arcade news posts and the forums there.

Gotten tips on a couple games I wouldn't otherwise have bothered with, like Call of Duty 4 on 360.
Dan
Lookie, new bl0g! (Feb 05, 06)
Lookie, old bl0g! (August 22nd, 05)
DemonStalker
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Location: Your Mom. No seriously, it's a wierd little town in upstate New York

Postby Kane Magus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:21 pm

DemonStalker wrote:I don't get too much into gaming news, so the stuff I do get, is filtered through Penny Arcade news posts and the forums there.

Yeah, Penny Arcade is a pretty good source too, and I meant to mention them myself but forgot about it. Heck, they're at least as good as the standard gamer blogs and other such sites.

--

Kane Magus
Kane Magus

Postby D.M.Jewelle » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:41 am

I get mine from RPGamer and sometimes RPGfan. Penny Arcade too, sometimes. Other sides like Kotaku and Insert Credit I usually go to from links.
"Behold the apocalypse. HEY! Did I say anything about touching the apocalypse?"
D.M.Jewelle
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Return to Push Start