Why you should go shopping for new video games *now*

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

Why you should go shopping for new video games *now*

Postby Alessar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Recently I've started playing Lumines II on my PSP.

No wait, let me back up. And also post this to a new topic and not the 'what now' thread.

About 2 weeks ago I heard a blurb that Circuit City was having a HUGEFANTASTICAL GINORMOUS clearance on videogames, mostly handheld. Prices as low as $8 and $16 and such. Now, I hate Circuit City because they fired a bunch of their workforce and then rehired them at a big wage cut a few years ago, but I figure I'm fine with scavenging them for clearance goods. My store did not have much of the listed titles it had like, a box 2006 PS2 sports games and a box of mostly cartoons for DS playback. I did however score Phoenix Wright #1 for $9. However, the games I had been looking for weren't there in the store at all. And that's when it dawned on me.

Now that the holiday is past, a whole bunch of games are going out of print. That means they're likely to go on clearance everywhere, then vanish. I went to Toys R Us near the Circuit City and I scored Elite Beat Agents (DS) for $20 and Lumines II (PSP) for $10. I could have also got Final Fantasy V (GBA ) for $20. Since then I've noticed a lot of places are marking stuff down. So if there's a game from last year you were delaying on picking up, you might want to go see if it's marked down and if it is, assume it's out of print and snag that puppy. ;P
Alessar

Postby Danners » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:28 am

You're very right about now being the time...

Also factor in that stores are looking for ANY sort of way to get people in to the store and the possibility that the store ordered in more stock than they can keep in the back and you got a recipe for great deals.

Too bad the only game I want at this point is Culdcept Saga for my Xbox 360, which hopefully will be out next week.
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby Alessar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:22 pm

The next "new" game I'm interested in is Baroque for PS2, coming from Atlus. Though not in the Shin Megami Tensei series, it looks to have the same dark vibe that series and Shadow Hearts has. It's a port of a Dreamcast game, and is also coming for Wii.
Alessar

Postby Alessar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:54 pm

Attention game shoppers! I was in Best Buy this past weekend and they had big tables of older games going clearance. They had stuff for most systems (not Wii) and had a lot of DS games in particular. Check out your local store if you are looking for a budget or older title. Probably every store has a different selection but mine at least had quite a few.

GameFly.com (the gaming equivalent of Netflix) is having a big clearance sale on used titles. The titles are guaranteed to work and come with case and book. http://www.gamefly.com/store/ I'm sorely tempted to get Devil May Cry 4 from them for PS3 - for under $20.

Good Old Games (http://www.gog.com) is in Open Beta. Always meant to pick up Castles, Fallout, or Descent? Now you can!
Alessar

Postby Alessar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 am

Another update!

[strike]Thursday[/strike] Wednesday October 29 starting at midnight Pacifi (3 AM Eastern) Amazon's gold box will be PS3 all day long!

PS3Fanboy has the list of hints and starter items!

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/29/ps3 ... he-ps-eye/

In otherwords, SALE NOW! : )
Alessar

Return to Push Start