YOUR NEW ACCOUNT AND YOU. [Want to be a Packer? Here's how.]

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

YOUR NEW ACCOUNT AND YOU. [Want to be a Packer? Here's how.]

Postby Jet Wolf » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:25 pm

Spambots ... suck. So so much.

Having just deleted thirty-seven spam accounts created in the past day, I have reached my breaking point. Nearly two spam accounts per hour is simply ridiculous. Until PHPBB can make a spam blocker that actually works, it's simply not worth it to leave account registration open.

My only remaining solution at this point then is to deactivate registration altogether.

This in no way means that new users aren't welcome. Quite the contrary. Just that you'll have to do a teensy bit more to join us.

If you'd like to join The Wolf Pack, then send an email to jetwolfv1[at] gmail[dot]com with the subject Wolf Pack Account Request (or something very similar so you don't get caught by my spam filters). Here's what you'll need to include in the e-mail message:

- Username: The username you'd like to use on the board. It's both your login name and your display name. Capitalization counts, so make sure to send it to me exactly how you want it to appear.

- E-Mail Address: This will be the main way the board communicates with you. It'll be used to notify you of topic replies, private messages, and to retrieve forgotten passwords.

I'll set you up with a temporary password, which I'll e-mail to you as soon as I've activated your account. (You'll want to make sure to change it pretty much first thing.) If all goes well and I'm at my computer when your request comes in, then you'll be ready to go within minutes. If I'm not around, then I'll make it as soon as possible. Barring out-of-towness or sleep or other events that interfere with my fake life though, you should have your account within 24 hours.

(And I pause in my post to delete YET ANOTHER spam account. Oh yeah, this is the best way to go.)

If for whatever reason your account isn't created when you feel it should be, then just e-mail me again. It could be your message got caught in the above-mentioned filters or I accidentally deleted it or something similar. I'll never knowingly ignore any request I get, so if you don't get a reply of some kind from me within a few days then consider your request MIA and simply try again.

Any comments/questions from potential members, e-mail me.
Any comments/questions from existing members, post 'em here.

-=Jet Wolf
Jet Wolf
Alpha Wolf
Alpha Wolf

Re: YOUR NEW ACCOUNT AND YOU. [Want to be a Packer? Here's h

Postby Jet Wolf » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:19 am

Following up on this ... I tried to turn some measure of board-fueled registration back on, but as I got ten new account requests in eight hours, I'm dubious. I turned registration off altogether, ala how-it-was. If you were one of those ten, your account has been deleted; please request one using the method above and I'll get you back ASAP.

-=Jet Wolf
Jet Wolf
Alpha Wolf
Alpha Wolf

Return to Push Start