Looking For Information regarding MMPORPG's

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

Looking For Information regarding MMPORPG's

Postby Mad-Hamlet » Fri May 18, 2007 2:31 am

Greetings,

It's not that I disagree with the concept of these kind of games, indeed if I did I wouldn't be writing this but I really cannot get into some of the more basic unrealities of these games. Which of course leads to 'Duh, Hamlet. They're fantasy' but even fantasy has some inherant laws which I think are limited by programming.

For example I cannot stand the idea of WoW simply because it's a numbers game. At no point is physics applied save for the basics. In other words if a scrawny mage is backhanded by a two hundred kill warrior he doesn't go flying across the room to smash into a wall and crumple to the ground in a sprawl. All a player has to worry about is his numbers being able to soak up the enemies numbers before zero is hit...with pretty colors.

I am wondering if there are any MMPORG's that also give 'twitches', that is player reflexes other than Hotkey Memorization, credence or value. I'm a rabid BF2142 player because of just that reason- The possibility to outthink, out manuver, out speed an enemy makes kills so much more satisfying.

I think though MPOORPG's are valid too and am seeking knowledge of games that have some of both worlds- The Characters and Role Playing of a MMPORPG with an enviroment where me, my two daggers, behind you, with fast relfexes means your wizard, regardless of the Wand Of Ominioptence Badassness in his possession, is going to have a very bad day.

I've heard Matrix: Online is like this to a degree, any players of that here?
I remain, as always,
Mad-Hamlet
Mad-Hamlet
Better Than Toast
Better Than Toast

Postby Danners » Fri May 18, 2007 10:13 am

I haven't played any MMO that involved any major "twitch" relexes. Accessibility and a level playing field is what the major MMOs offer, as some people just can't keep up with twitch gameplay (although I still try to "run away" from attacks because my brain keeps thinking I should be able to).

Auto Assault had some twitch gameplay from what I remember now that I Think about it. They usually offer game trials if you wanna give it a go. It's a car combat RPG of sorts where you can outfit your vehicle with a variety of doohickeys. I never played it past the Beta (I've given up on MMOs due to costs), so I'm not sure how the game turned out. I heard decent things about the game and that it's different in a good way from CoX and WoW (the two games I most familiar with). The major problem with the game it seems is player count. Any game that ISN'T WoW these days feels like the player count is sparse.

Anywho, that's all I can think of/know of at the moment.
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby Mad-Hamlet » Sat May 19, 2007 3:43 am

Greetings,

Thanks for the heads up. Anyone else? Any oncoming MMPORPG's I should be considering?

I remain, as always,
Mad-Hamlet
Mad-Hamlet
Better Than Toast
Better Than Toast

Return to Push Start