The Official City of Heroes Thread

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

Postby Bunny M » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:44 pm

I'm not sure where most of us have the most characters, you'd have to log in and see. I have toons on almost every server these days, and which one I'm playing at any given moment varies based on mood and server performance. Obviously I'm planning on playing Hanako as much as possible until I get her to lvl 50, but I usually solo her anyway. (She's on Virtue)

The best way to find good and fun players, on most any server, at most any time, IMO, would be to sign up to the LJ global chat channel. I'm always on that whenever I'm on, and I've seen Jet Wolf, Ultrace and Alessar on there frequently too. We also have a Wolf Pack channel, but that's usually pretty quiet, as it's only people from the Pack, and we often either don't intersect playing times, or only just so. (Right Alessar?) :wink:

JW, Ultrace and I all use the same global handle on CoX as we do here, but I know that CapeMike and Alessar have different handles there. If you see any of us online just send a tell and we'll get you an invite to the Pack channel.

But really, the LJ channel (livejournal) is the best/easiest place to find competant players, and most of us there have alts all over the place, so we can help out on most servers, if not always most levels. Oh, and if you do end up joining the LJ channel, beware of the Fnord.
All of the above is, of course, merely my opinion. It may not coincide with yours. That's life.

<i>Give importance to the small dreams you painted towards the sky</i>
Bunny M
Official Jet Wolf Sidekick

Postby CapeMike » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:12 pm

What LJ global channel, Bunny?
"Explosions solve EVERYTHING!!"

-Nabeshin, Excel Saga episode 26
CapeMike

Postby Bunny M » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:44 pm

CapeMike wrote:What LJ global channel, Bunny?

I wondered why I'd never seen you on there CM. The LJ channel is called livejournal, and is full of people to talk to (and a Fnord to shake your head at wonderingly, occasionally) at pretty much any time of the day. It's also great for finding teams/SGs/advice/help on any server, should you be looking.
All of the above is, of course, merely my opinion. It may not coincide with yours. That's life.

Bunny M

Postby Bunny M » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 pm

ohnoes! Double-posting!

Anyway, yesterday, my main-of-the-moment, Hanako, finally hit lvl 38, and picked up Elude. She now has all of the /SR powers. *yay!*

After upgrading all of my SOs (and finding myself roughly 2.6 million Inf the poorer for it), I prceeded to start a couple of new contacts, and, it turns out, a new story arc. It turned out that it was an amazingly good thing I had taken Elude, because my shiny new arc is a Crey one, and I finally got to meet my first Paragon Protector.

And get killed by my first Paragon Protector. Blasted Moment of Glory. :roll:

Still, due to also picking up two mission badges (Frontline and Doctor's Ally), I also went for a wander around to collect all of the exploration badges (netting me Pathfinder into the bargain) for Conspiracy Theorist, now all I need for this accolade (and ridiculously slow-recharging Crey Cryo-pistol power) is to keep grinding away at those Protectors, and thus pick up the Infiltrator badge.

Oh, and I spent some time in Warburg too, earning myself one of each of the Warburg nukes.

All in all, a great day to be in Paragon City. (Unless you work for Crey Industries, that is.) :twisted:

Bunny M

Postby CapeMike » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:21 pm

The Paragon Protectors are indeed a royal pain in the rear if they 'Go MoG', as some of us like to put it...your best bet then is to either outlast them, or have someone on your team who can use an area of effect slow/DoT power such as Caltrops or Mud Pots or even Blizzard; the damage effect from Caltrops, for example, always hits and prevents the use of SuperSpeed and SuperJump...my own Blaster swears by Caltrops.... ;)

CapeMike

Postby Bunny M » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:21 pm

So, this week, my current main, Hanako, finally hit level 40. A new badge, a new costume and several new contacts/zones all suddenly became available. Oh, and suddenly I'm meeting new enemy groups too.

So far, this has been a mixed blessing. I mean, PI, Portal Corp, the RCS (and the lovely shortcut to Crey's Folly through it) are all great. Carnies are interesting, fun to fight, and have some really nifty costume elements that I wish players could get. Crey and Nemesis are unchanged so far, but that's ok, as I enjoy fighting them anyway.

Malta are pretty dull looks wise, and for the most part aren't too troublesome. Sappers land a hit so rarely that it's not relevant, and Gunslingers are quite challenging in a fun way. The Engineers though, and the blasted turrets they drop. >.> The turrets aren't *actually* very dangerous to me, but damn, they have a stupid amount of lethal defense, and taking them out is a chore. I must say, I really think that the Devs need to do some re-balancing there, given that the turrets can be spawned in a few seconds, (and I've never managed to interrupt an Engineer once they start laying them), they last until defeated and they give no XP.

And then there are KoA. :shock: :evil: I've only had one, thankfully short, mission against this lot, and it'll be the last one I take with this toon. (Unless I respec into flight for some reason.) Gah! Not hugely dangerous in and of themselves, but the sheer number of caltrops patches they put out is just plain ludicrous. At one point I engaged six KoA, and in the time it took me to defeat the first one (5-10s), there were 8 patches of caltrops slowing/killing me. :shock: And because caltrops are auto-hit, like CM said, they totally negate my entire secondary. Very much not fun at all.

Still, I've been having fun, sudden unpleasant surprises to the contrary. 40+ really feels almost like a whole new game. And I haven't even looked into the Shadow Shard yet. I'm hoping it's more like the Carnies than the Knives of Artemis. *crosses fingers*

Bunny M

Postby CapeMike » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:26 pm

Well, Issue 8 is live now, Veteran Awards and all.... :D

Decided to go a different direction with CapeMike and working it into his story; he's level 50 now and it's finally gotten through his thick skull that a shirt and jeans don't help much vs giant monsters willing to do MakoSama knows what to him, sooooooo....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/ ... hillin.jpg

:)

CapeMike

Postby Bunny M » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Issue 8 has arrived and so far I'm really liking it.

I've been concentrating on my Ice/Ice blaster, and the new contacts/mission arcs in Faultline, and I have to say that they are pretty damn good. And the unlockable store which sells SOs (!) is a huge bonus.

Overall the new Faultline is great, with a great feel to it. Several times I've found myself flying in circles just to hang with the seagulls that you can find over the water in a few points of the southern parts of the zone. It's a whole lot of fun.

Just remember not to fly too low over the water, as occasionally you'll see a group of three Hydra tentacles. The ones I came across were level 21, when my blaster was only 17, and on top of that fun, Hydra range attacks have -fly. That got the blood pumping, I can tell you.

Someone has put plenty of effort into making the new zone memorable, with interesting contacts, (Detectives Kowaccio and Frasenbecker-the-mountie), lovely nooks&crannies to explore, wandering mobs to defeat and great NPC dialogue. A couple I have overhead in the past few days are:

SWAT Officer: I'm not kidding you! Five huge Lost all crammed into one tiny Mini. Most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

and

Wolf Spider Enforcer: Hey, how about we grab a hero and toss them off a cliff later? Just remember to be sure it's a Super Speedster first.

I was a touch disappointed when the third zone contact (Doc Delilah) wouldn't offer me any missiono until I was lvl 20 so I've been working on Police Band and Safeguard missions to grind through those few levels til I can continue the overall Faultline storyline. Police Band missions are basically just the same as as Newspaper mission villain-side, with a touch more humour thrown in. (Take back the P.L.O.T. device, "You knew a museum of villain technology was a bad idea") Safeguards are fun, if a touch frantic, but it seems that if you can manage to stop the bank-robbers before they get out of the bank then you are sitting pretty. (Especially if you have <a href="http://www.vidiotmaps.com/">vidiotmaps</a> open in another window.) Good XP to be had, as there are plenty of mobs about even on heroic, although they come in nicely small groups for the most part. A lot of fun, and good temp powers to go with it.

As for the Veteran Rewards, other than the 45s of badgespam the first time I log in a new toon for the first time, they only have a small effect to me. I find the choice between the Ghost-slaying Axe and the Sands of Mu an interesting one, and I do love the teleport to base power, especially seeing as it functions much like clicking on a Base Portal, giving you a list of bases that you have permission to enter to choose from.

Oh, and the wings are a great addition to the look of any toons that have Hover/Fly. That's the only time they flap at the moment, but word is that they will be patching that in the not too distant future to include jumping and falling as well.

Much fun to be had.

Bunny M

Postby Danners » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:45 pm

Stop talking about CoH please. The urge to play must not be brought back :P
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby Bunny M » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:53 pm

Danners wrote:Stop talking about CoH please. The urge to play must not be brought back :P

<i>Come to ussss........</i>

:twisted:

Bunny M

PreviousNext

Return to Push Start