The Official City of Heroes Thread

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

The Official City of Heroes Thread

Postby Alessar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:57 am

Having two disparate threads for general discussion of CoH is driving me nuts, especially when both were originally for specific topics. So I'm locking them both. If more developments in the lawsuit arise and they warrant their own thread, we can make a new one.

Thanks!
Alessar

Postby Danners » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:32 am

Should I be sad that the CoH thread I started is getting locked? :cry:

Anywho, yeah I was wondering for the longest time why the CoH talk was getting split...

CapeMike wrote:Rejoice fans, the Issue 3 update for CoH is now 'live'! Very Happy

All kinds of new stuff to do, and the free respec for all characters should go live by Sunday....

What other changes are they doing to CoH? Despite me playing WoW, I'm still interested in CoH. I may come back to it once I've had my fun with WoW. You can't keep Bear Naked under wraps for too long :wink:
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby Alessar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:50 am

A free respec? not just the one on the test server for Christmas? I must create some quickie characters and reap this benefit! \o/
Alessar

Postby Danners » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:05 am

Make a quickie character? Respec'ing was just allowing higher level characters choose to NOT take some earlier powers, or take out powers that you thought were good, but later realised they weren't that useful. Like a defender who took an AoE power (not recomended) or a scrapper removing an attack power he doesn't use so much anymore for an extra power pool power.

I don't really see the point of making a quickie character just for respec'ing.
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby Alessar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:23 pm

So that when I play the character later I'll have a respec on tap if I don't build it well.

And Defenders do sometimes have useful AoEs. There are two in my build that are quite useful, one debuffs the enemies damage and accuracy, the other sucks the life out of them and does a group rez. ^_^
Alessar

Postby FiercePook » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:54 pm

No way, my Storm Defender has the best AoE, Freezing Rain. Makes all enemies in an area take damage and slip and fall. That combined with Chris's blaster Fire rain-type thing is the most awesome thing EVAR :)

Also, yes, CM, Chris and I moved to another server. We initially started up characters on Infinity to play with my sister, who has since moved on to World of Warcraft, and then Chris decided he hated Chris Waffle's powers :P I reminded him that you were still on Pinnacle and he felt really bad about it since we really had fun playing with you too, even though you outlevelled us by a LOT. I remade Sammie and my characters back on Pinnacle, though, so look out for the Soccer Mommy and Sammie's character...Salia? Sasia? (Edit: It's Salisa >D )She likes to make up nonsense names and I can never keep track of them ^^;

--Pook! ^_^
"And for the record, I'm excited about the possibility that I can <i>not allow</i> you to do <i>anything</i>."
--My husband, in response to me whinging that I wasn't <i>allowed</i> to go on the computer
FiercePook
Official Jet Wolf Sidekick

Postby Danners » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:18 am

Alessar wrote:So that when I play the character later I'll have a respec on tap if I don't build it well.

Oh ok...making a quickie for that reason makes sense :D

As for AoE's for buffing and debuffing, that's different. I was thinking more of damaging AoE's for a defender. Not that they're useless, but you just have to be extremely careful how you use them. Since I normally played an Empathy Defender, I'd rather take the extra heal or buff over an AoE.
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby Bunny M » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:29 am

Danners wrote:As for AoE's for buffing and debuffing, that's different. I was thinking more of damaging AoE's for a defender. Not that they're useless, but you just have to be extremely careful how you use them. Since I normally played an Empathy Defender, I'd rather take the extra heal or buff over an AoE.

Ahh, that makes sense. So, what's it like playing Emp, anyway?

The closest I've ever gotten is a FF/Psi defender, who really is more of a slow, long range blaster. (With some defenses. Personal forcefield rocks for safe travelling across a zone.) 8)
All of the above is, of course, merely my opinion. It may not coincide with yours. That's life.

<i>Give importance to the small dreams you painted towards the sky</i>
Bunny M

Postby FiercePook » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:05 pm

Yeah, Chris used to play a non-tanking Tanker as a wannabe scrapper and I'd get so mad at him for it, being a Scrapper myself and since neither of us had a ranged attack, we'd end up with lots of guys on us at once and if I used my AOE it was all over. I'd complain and complain at him for not taking his higher-defense powers because he didn't want to look like poo (stone powers :lol: )

Now the shoe is on the other foot, and I'm a non-healing Defender. All my powers are for locking down, distracting and shoving away enemies and buffing ourselves, but I've only got one weak heal and it only works on another person. And he's the one going "Heal! HEAL! HEEEEAAAALLL!" when all the badguys come after him.

--Pook! ^_^
"And for the record, I'm excited about the possibility that I can <i>not allow</i> you to do <i>anything</i>."
--My husband, in response to me whinging that I wasn't <i>allowed</i> to go on the computer
FiercePook

Postby Danners » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:27 pm

The first character I played way back in the beta was Empath/Electricity (I was one of the first to have that combo since when I joined the Beta, they just introduced that combo). I loved playing a healer, especially when I met up with a really great Tanker. I kept him healed, he kept me alive, we gained MANY levels together.

Later, I recreated that character with Radiation instead and found that to be a better compliment since rad lowers defence. Just find it amazing how poor many healers are. My motto was always, "I stay alive if the Tank stays alive."
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Next

Return to Push Start