World of Warcraft

Gaming, oh Gaming. How I love thee. How much of my money you suck, how much of my time you waste. Never leave me, Gaming. Never change.

Moderators: Ultrace, Alessar

World of Warcraft

Postby FiercePook » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:53 pm

So innocently enough a few months back I follow a link from the Penny Arcade forums to World of Warcraft's free stress test beta. Hey, why the heck not? I ask myself. I start to play...and play...and play. But at the end of the week, I stop logging in once I realize the character I made will be wiped and think that's that.

Later, after getting more and more frustrated with FFXI I browse around and see that WoW is having another open beta. I snag a beta key and play again, and play...and play...and play. I go back and play FFXI some more, but every time I log in by comparison seems like a chore. I'm almost level 50 and I still can't do any "cool" quests or missions, and even if I could, good luck finding a group of people who will agree to do it all at the same time in the exact formation of jobs that is required by the game for success. So meanwhile it's slog slog slog through levelling up, which consists only of fighting the same mobs over and over and over again in different areas that don't even have the decency to be different colors or have new attacks, and only in parties of six and only in the exact lineup of jobs required by the game to succeed. Want to join a group, but you're a Theif? You'll probably be looking for a party on the average of about three hours before you can find one. Anyone want a Summoner? Why, when they can get a White Mage or a Red Mage who has Raise? Want to level Monk or Warrior all the way to level 75? Good luck, you'll consistently get turned down by groups who only want a Paladin or a Dark Warrior. I buy the $30 expansion pack hoping for new quests and content, only to find that to access most of the new areas you need to complete a nearly impossible series of quests again requiring 18 people who all get together at the exact same time in the exact formation of jobs that you need with the exact items you need to succeed, and even then only a tiny fraction of the promised expansion content is implemented. By comparison everything I do in WoW seems like a breath of fresh air. Even exploring new areas nets you experience. The game is very soloable. Some people call the game "too easy," and to them I say if you've got the time and desire to mire endlessly through impossible battles, go to it.

And then the Beta ends a week early, and while sad, I think to myself "well, that's the end of that I suppose. My husband would kill me if we were paying four MMORPG fees a month (FFXI, WoW, CoHx2)."

In the meantime, to see if it was just the change of scenery that got me interested, I try Guild Wars and The Saga of Ryzom free betas. I delete each one in less than a day, completely uninterested.

Then I go into Best Buy today, and on a shelf staring me in the face is the box for World of Warcraft. And I think, and I think hard, about how much fun I had playing it, compared to how little fun I've had in FFXI lately. And before I know it, the box has leaped off the shelf and right into my hand, all unbeknownst to me.

But as I said, my husband will froth if he finds out I've signed up for ANOTHER MMORPG. So now I'm forced to take a hard look at FFXI and ask myself: is it worth it anymore? I've dumped so much time and money into the game and by comparison gotten so little out of it. There's high-end content that I'd like to see, but even if I spend the months that would still be required for me to level high enough to do it, then there's the endless waiting and arranging and rescheduling of trying to beg, borrow and steal enough people to help out with it. And by comparison, I can jump into WoW right now and finish the entire first two areas with varied quests and exploration and get to about level 17 in relatively little time, and have fun doing it. And while being surrounded by other people and chatting with them, I am not absolutely bound to them and their schedules and their whims to do pretty much ANYTHING.

So for right now, I think my plan is this - cancel FFXI. My character data will remain for 90 days. I can even reactivate and then re-cancel it every 90 days to keep it around indefinitely, although I'd have to pay just once every 90 days as opposed to once a month. And in that time I can probably see if WoW is much more suited to me, which I already know it is, but hey, the game only just started and it can still be nerfed out of existence once Blizzard realizes that people are actually having fun with it or something ;)

--Pook! ^_^
"And for the record, I'm excited about the possibility that I can <i>not allow</i> you to do <i>anything</i>."
--My husband, in response to me whinging that I wasn't <i>allowed</i> to go on the computer
FiercePook
Official Jet Wolf Sidekick

Postby DemonStalker » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:07 am

It's a great game, it really is. Unfortunately, it's going through some huge lage right now, and no one can figure out why. It's not even close to peak times, right now either.

gah, once this bit gets fixed, I'll enjoy it more. Got to level 9 in about 7 hours though, with lag. ^_^
Dan
Lookie, new bl0g! (Feb 05, 06)
Lookie, old bl0g! (August 22nd, 05)
DemonStalker
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Location: Your Mom. No seriously, it's a wierd little town in upstate New York

Postby Alessar » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:29 am

I was in the closed Beta of WoW ... and it just didn't do it for me. Yes, it was easy but at the same time, I didn't feel it was very rewarding. The story didn't have that stirring epic feel FFXI did. And for a long time I was happy just putzing around in FFXI and only levelling occasionally. But now, I think I'm just plain done with all of this stuff. I'm much happier ensconced in my big comfy chair playing SMT: Nocturne and Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

I haven't cancelled my FFXI account yet (I replaced my hard drive and my install is on the old one. It's damaged too so I can't just reinstall the game and dump the old files over to be insta-patched) but I need to.
Alessar

Postby HydrusZ » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:14 pm

I'm level 46 in CoH, so I'll be done with it soon enough. I've canceled DAOC... I can't even look at it anymore. I played the open beta of WoW, and am installing it right now. WoW is a very crowded game, but other than that I had fun with it. I'm trying to get out of MMORPGs completely... by the summer, I hope.
HydrusZ
Better Than Toast
Better Than Toast

Postby DemonStalker » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:18 pm

given that this is my first mmorpg since EQ a few years back (around 5 I think. how long has it been out, anyway?), I'm looking forward to a long relationship with at least this one. ^_^
Dan
DemonStalker
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby DemonStalker » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:27 am

Oh, if anyone happens to be on the Lothar server (of the eastern server block). drop me a line. My only character right now is a Tauren warrior, named Kronys.

What servers are you others on?
Last edited by DemonStalker on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
DemonStalker
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby Danners » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:05 am

I'm on the server "Imagination" :lol:

I may take a chance and try WoW in the new year after I get a full time job. As is, I just don't have the spare cash.

PS.
Um, why do we have 2 WoW threads? This one and the other one a ways down? Just curious :D
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby FiercePook » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:39 am

I've got an Undead Warlock named Evilpook on Windrunner (a West Coast Normal server) and a Dark Elf Rogue named Seraphinn on Argent Dawn (the East Coast RP server).

Danners wrote:Um, why do we have 2 WoW threads? This one and the other one a ways down? Just curious :D

Because I don't usually scroll down to threads that have been dead since LAST APRIL to check for similar content before I post :P

--Pook! ^_^
"And for the record, I'm excited about the possibility that I can <i>not allow</i> you to do <i>anything</i>."
--My husband, in response to me whinging that I wasn't <i>allowed</i> to go on the computer
FiercePook

Postby Danners » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:49 am

What stinks about reading web comics is that EVERYONE is talking about WoW. I want to play...so desperatly want to play...I'm even coming up with some money soon too, but...but...I must not give in to the urge... :wall:

You know you people are tearing apart my soul with all this WoW talk, right?
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Postby Danners » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:38 am

Ok, so I was this close (holding up a very small distance between his fingers) to going out to buy WoW. I started scouting online stores to find the best deal only to be shown price ranges between $60-$70 Canadian (it's $50-$60 american on most sites I've seen for comparison).

I was so pissed off. There is NO reason why an MMO game should cost that much. A retailers excuse for the high cost of games is always piracy. But wait a sec, you can't pirate MMO games since they charge you a monthly fee. I understand they need to recoup some costs for making the game, but charging the price of a full game? That's a little ridiculous.

Looks like I'll be waiting longer than I first thought.
Danners
JW Propaganda Expert
JW Propaganda Expert

Next

Return to Push Start