Review - 9x13: "A New Place to Dwell" [SPOILERS]

For all your Season 9 discussions on The Chosen, because Jet Wolf is anal and likes to keep things tidy. Here we'll talk about the latest episodes and people will theorize for JW's amusement. (Warning: may contain spoilers for any and all previous events in either Buffy or The Chosen.)

Moderators: Jet Wolf, Ultrace

Postby doppelgangler07 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Jet Wolf wrote:
Erratic wrote:Why are you upping the Willow/Tara angst? I worry more than I should about them.

Well really, how much fun is it when everyone's getting along? ;) You know how much I love Will and Tara. And what do we do to those we love?

Just what is that supposed to mean???? :evil:
Are you gonna hurt Tara? I'm gettin bad tinglies about this...

Random thought for the day: "Did you go to college?"
"I went to the campus all the time."
"Do you remember algebra?"
"Every bit as much as I remember any other subject."

Beautiful.

"I told you so!"
Faith was utterly taken aback. "Well F me."

Priceless.
-------------------------
Sidenote: I've been reading the comics in the absence of The Chosen. And does anyone else feel like the weight of bad fanfiction (comic) has been lifted with the return of "What Really Happened" (J-Dub)???
That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil and skanky. And I think I'm kinda gay.
Willow, Doppelgangland
doppelgangler07
Better Than Toast
Better Than Toast

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Congratulations on a good restart.

And it seems you have improved your writing style since earlier eps.
One of the best episodes yet.

Annoying, it seems i checked the site just hours before the ep was released and then i didnt check back until yesterday! :P
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
Pixelated
Pixelated

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby DIREWOLF75 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:21 pm

Random thought for the day: "Did you go to college?"
"I went to the campus all the time."
"Do you remember algebra?"
"Every bit as much as I remember any other subject."

Oh yes, that one was perfection!

Hitanko's sister's attack. Well done, not sure what is going on or why, or how she is so powerful.

Probably not the intended answer, but if she was a superior martial artist before getting vamped and was fanatic enough about it that she kept it up even as a vamp, potentially dozens or hundreds of years to practise without the problem of aging...

Hehe, a Bruce Lee or Sho Kosugi on multiple lifetime powerups vamp, soooo NOT what i would like as opposition.

And btw, how many figured out that im using a vamp as avatar?
:twisted:
This has been an objective and completely impartial message from the propaganda bureau of DIREWOLF75. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.
DIREWOLF75
Pixelated
Pixelated

Location: Isthmus of Baldur (modernly known as Bollnäs), Sweden

Postby Neet » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Jet Wolf wrote:
Erratic wrote:Why are you upping the Willow/Tara angst? I worry more than I should about them.

Well really, how much fun is it when everyone's getting along? ;) You know how much I love Will and Tara. And what do we do to those we love?

We torture them in slow and painful ways whilst savouring every minute. Then we breathe a big sigh of relief when (if) they recover, before going back to the torture all over again. I think worry is perfectly justified (but fun).

Jet Wolf wrote:
Erratic wrote:Quick question: did you deliberately play down Buffy's birthday? That is one thing that goes against canon for me. Her birthdays are normally bad, not lame. Can you comment on your thoughts for that choice?

Sure. This is actually getting a lot of comment around teh interwebs also. What I would say first and foremost is that I'm not the first. Joss himself downplayed Buffy's birthday sometimes! Let's take a look at them, won't we?

- First season: No birthday, Buffy was presumably still in LA for it.
- Second season: Sex with Angel, he goes evil ... yeah, that one sucked.
- Third season: Forcibly depowered, trapped with a crazy vamp. That one sucked too.
- Fourth season: First college birthday, Giles felt old, Giles got turned into a demon, Buffy had a sort of scary moment when she thought he killed him but only a second. Given the precedence of the previous two years, this one is a veritable party.
- Fifth season: Dawn discovers she's the Key, gets slash happy with her forearms, they have a fight with Glory and Buffy gets sisterly hugs at the end. Not too great but quickly resolved.
- Sixth season: Everyone gets shut in the house. A demon attacks. Buffy wins. For a season that was laden with misery, this day actually wasn't too terribly bad for the Buff.
- Seventh season: So memorable we didn't even get an episode of it.

- Eighth season: Tara, Buffy and Willow all nearly kill each other. But it all ended happily.
- Ninth season: Slight deviation of bad luck from Buffy to Faith, in line with how she’s been delegating many of her Slayer duties.
- Tenth season: Buffy decides her birthday may not be doomed and she’s enjoys celebration and presents to much not to celebrate. Madrigan decides he also likes parties and gatecrashes.

Jet Wolf wrote:
mulewagon wrote:Oh my goodness! Somebody actually defended Faith! About time!

That was actually pretty cathartic to write. I didn't necessarily go into that scene with the expectation that Xander would stand up for Faith, but once we were in there, he made it pretty clear pretty quick that he wasn't just going to sit there.

And that’s another reason Xander had to be the one to go with Faith. Buffy may not have been as quick to defend and someone needed to. Now it just needs hammering into Faith’s head.

Jet Wolf wrote:
Jessie wrote:OMG, you have like perfect commercial cut breaks with your scenes. They're always so intense. I swear, marketers should look into advertising between your acts.

That'd be interesting but weird. ACT BREAK, DUN-DUN-DUN! "Do you have painful hemorrhoids?"
Thank you though. I try hard to keep to the spirit of the show, including the "omg must wait impatiently through commercials!" even though you're waiting, what? Five seconds tops while you click "next" and the page loads? Even less if you go printer version. It's good to hear that even with that minuscule break in the action I can get some tension going.

If, for some reason, I need to do something else whilst I’m reading the Chosen, I think “I’ll just go to the act breakâ€
Neet
Greater Newbie
Greater Newbie

Postby Akeela » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:36 am

If Ms. Seraphina erred spelling her name
That would concern me a bunch
But others got Serafina wrong
They botch mine continually
Both moniker and real
I’ve no prob
With this

A
K
E E E L A
Last edited by Akeela on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private reality is strangely significant – has been since Sunnydale and beyond.
Akeela
Official Jet Wolf Sidekick

Postby Neet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:11 pm

I didn't mind if Serafina's name had been spelt wrong, I just wondered why. Did she randomly decide she wanted to change the spelling, was it some evidence that she's actually a suspicious character and Serafina is only a pseudonym for Serafphinagryanyanka, the Xander-hunting demon?

People are always mixing up my first and my surnames, because both could feasibly be a first name. It used to annoy me, but now it's just amusing.
Neet
Greater Newbie
Greater Newbie

Postby Unitarian Jihadist » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:31 am

Nuts, lost my reply.

I am absolutely thrilled with the return of The Chosen. I really like your take on Faith. This episode rang so true for the development of the character. In a sense, Faith really did get "lucky" when Lucy turned out to be right about her art teacher. It was a short cut for Faith to get emotional closure by saving, and being saved by, Lucy, but it still worked very, very well. And then, in smart story telling fashion, Hitanko's sister arrives to yank the rug right out from under Faith just as things are looking up. Faith's escape was a brilliant example of the First Rule of Slaying. I really thought Faith might be doomed, but in retrospect her using the residential street environment to her advantage was simple and yet brilliant.

I thought the conversation between Angel and Buffy was very interesting. The problem is, I am not sure that Angel is the best ensouled vampire to be asking these questions of. When one looks at Angelus, for some reason he seemed to set records even for vampires in depravity. Spike was much more of a mixed bag, but unfortunately, in the Chosenverse, Spike is gone.

As for Hitanko's sister, my theory is still that she is the original owner of the sword that Giles gave Buffy. Slayer turned vampire, and not only that, but exceptional slayer turned vampire. Maybe turned by Hitanko herself when slayer could not bring herself to slay turned sister. The visual preview of the next episode seems to suggest parallels between Buffy and Hitanko's sister.

But of course, I could be, and probably am, wrong.

At any rate, it is so great to see you guys back!
"Are you ready to be strong?"
Unitarian Jihadist
Greater Newbie
Greater Newbie

Postby Akeela » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Yes
I know
Jet hath said
(Though not in text)
(So it’s not quite canonical)
Spike’s dust lies ‘neath ruined Sunnydale
t’Me, Andrew’s just keepin’ mum about rebirth
For complicated reasons best known only to himself
In m’mind, Spike & Schrodinger’s Cat hang out together
In some, as yet, unvisited corner of the glorious Chosenverse
Just 'cause I ain't theologically attuned with th' Creator
At least on this particular, niggling tenant o'faith
It no way detracts from full enjoyment
Of the entire body of writing
Or its singular, serial parts
If Spike never visits
Pennsylvania at all
It'll be
O.K.

A
K
E E L A
Private reality is strangely significant – has been since Sunnydale and beyond.
Akeela

Re: Review - 9x13: "A New Place to Dwell" [SPOILERS]

Postby Jessie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 am

Just finished reading 9x13 again, along with all of the replies. I'm loving the long breaks- its like experiencing the episode all over again. I really should download/save all the episodes in case the site ever goes down (I shutter to think!).

For those who still visit the forum, I gotta ask- do y'all think Xander and Faith were meant to end up in a relationship within The Chosen? I was left wondering. My feeling is split. Do I want it to happen? I think yes. Was that the direction in this universe? I can't tell! One more episode I think would have clarified some feelings for me. Although as an addict, I would say "just one more".

Also, I read a good bit of the continuation comics for Buffy and Angel.... man they got nothing on The Chosen. It's almost embarrassing how this story is not only better, it just fits. It makes sense. Keep it classy!
"The Chosen is my canon"
Jessie
Pixelated
Pixelated

Re: Review - 9x13: "A New Place to Dwell" [SPOILERS]

Postby Neet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:12 am

I've never been very sure about Xander and Faith (either in the show or The Chosen). I've never quite been able to define what I think their relationship is/could be. I remember they surprised me in New Place to Dwell, but then I looked back and saw how it did make sense, but it also didn't feel inevitable to me. Which is all a long-winded way to say I'm even less sure than you.

I do think we have more to see from Serafina yet on Xander's side.
Neet
Greater Newbie
Greater Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to The Story's Not Done Yet