Potential Movie & Franchise reboots

Want to discuss all the wonderful Buffy stuff that happened in seven years that we didn't write but totally wish we did? There's a place for that. Chat about the show, the actors, the latest news -- if it's Buffy-related, it's welcome.

Moderator: Jet Wolf

Potential Movie & Franchise reboots

Postby tessarin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:52 am

Since this has been up a while at Whedonesque and other places and the general reaction has been pretty negative I wondered what peoples opinions were on the likelyhood of a reboot at some point? Would people's attitude change if the Kazui's were not involved other than as a credit ala the TV series.

What grace period is required for a reboot? Will there just be thematic reboots like Fringe vs the X-Files?

For my part I'm of this is a little too soon feeling maybe another 5 years and I am not keen on those involved. I'm interested in the silence that emanated from 20th Century Fox as they hold the rights to most of the rest of the brand and presumably have received most of the back end. I would have thought they would be very concerned over something tarnishing the brand.

People always brand Buffy as cult and ignore that it was used along with the Simpsons and X-Files to pilot TV series on DVD. I can remember seeing something on advertisement rates that showed the WB was able to charge a premium for slots. I think it rated something like 4th overall on network TV for scripted TV behind Friends, Frasier, Simpsons and 1 other. At the end of the day the show was a huge money spinner hence why it survived and why I think a reboot is inevitable at some point. After all Paramount did the same with Star Trek whose franchise had become very tarnished from Voyager on. At the end of the day it's all about the money.

So thoughts on the reboot or ideas when it will occur?
tessarin
Pixelated
Pixelated

Postby doppelgangler07 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:02 pm

By reboot do you mean bring it back with different characters/actors and writers? If so I'd have to vote HELL-to-the-NO.
Buffy succeeded and continues to succeed even in the late-bloomer-re-watching of it because of the time and place in which it was created and the one of a kind cast and writing. A remake of Buffy at this time will inevitably appear to be exactly what it is: an attempt to boost ratings by prematurely re-introducing an old show, and it would have the same doomed fate as"new" Beverly Hills 90210.
That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil and skanky. And I think I'm kinda gay.
Willow, Doppelgangland
doppelgangler07
Better Than Toast
Better Than Toast

Postby tessarin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:48 am

doppelgangler07 wrote:
By reboot do you mean bring it back with different characters/actors and writers?

Yes. I'm not keen on the idea currently but I am okay with it in the future as long as it is done sensitively. Like the new Star Trek reboot , I am not a fan of the show but I could tell those involved in the reboot were.

I think the cast chemistry, timing and writing all are good points but the show is essentially a reboot of the movie itself. Given that the show made conservatively between $850 million and $1.2 billion for Fox in terms of merchandising, DVD sales, license fees etc I think they're bound to dust it off at some point. If they do I'm happy to look at it providing the casting, writing talent are all good. I am not against the idea of a reboot in and of itself.

Maybe the news will lead to the dusting off of Ripper and BTAS. The later I'm astonished never got made.
tessarin
Pixelated
Pixelated

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 am

For me, the key element that makes something a reboot rather than a spin-off, sequel, or other variation is that it explicitly is not bound by the old continuity - so a mediaeval Slayer would generally not be a reboot; a modern day Slayer (assuming they revert to "one girl in all the world" without some convincing reason for scrapping Willow's Slayer spell) would be.
rmsgrey
Official Jet Wolf Sidekick

Postby Dana5140 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Actually, tesserin, the people who rebooted Star Trek, JJ Abrams included, have stated in interviews that they essentially had no experience or real knowledge of the show. Instead, what they did was to honor the established fans by sort of building in continuity elements, and addressing threats to that continuity as part of the story line. The point here is that they knew they were running a risk and therefore they calculated how they could draw new viewers while respecting the old ones that made the show so popular in the first place. The problem with the Buffy reboot is that the Kazuis have stated they will not use any established characters- not Buffy, not Willow, but will redo the series with entirely new people. In part, this is a licensing issue- they may own the show, but Fox owns the characters (which is how Joss can license them for his comic series). It is this that led to the outcry. A Buffy reboot with SMG, Aly Hannigan et al would likely have been met with excitement, not derision.
He hurt my nose!
Dana5140
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Postby Akeela » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:52 pm

Bringin' Trillium To The Screen

Reboot Buffy with different writers?
A thousand times NO!
Including Jet Wolf?
Ah, errrrrr
Yes
What of
The actors though?
Animation might work here
Or p'rhaps computer generation
No Actor's Guild headaches therewith

A
K
E E L A
Private reality is strangely significant – has been since Sunnydale and beyond.
Akeela

Return to Home of the Big Brewin' Evil