Joss's S8 / New Comic Discussion [SPOILERS]

Want to discuss all the wonderful Buffy stuff that happened in seven years that we didn't write but totally wish we did? There's a place for that. Chat about the show, the actors, the latest news -- if it's Buffy-related, it's welcome.

Moderator: Jet Wolf

Re: Joss's S8 / New Comic Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Dana5140 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 am

ITA!
He hurt my nose!
Dana5140
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Postby tankiawee » Thu May 12, 2011 9:05 am

ITA?
tankiawee
Wolf Cub
Wolf Cub

Postby Dana5140 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:59 pm

I Totally Agree. :-)
He hurt my nose!
Dana5140
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Postby tankiawee » Thu May 12, 2011 8:04 pm

I'll still give S9 a go, because Joss does have a history of writing some of the most compelling episodes when his hand is personally on the helm. My eye's on Willow, because what she does without magic will demonstrate either the writing skills or lack thereof of the writers. It's easy to paint castles when all the rules are breakable with magic, it's quite another to develop a character in the BTVS without it. Willow was a compelling character before she had powers, and I'd like to see how that plays out.
tankiawee
Wolf Cub
Wolf Cub

Postby Dana5140 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:01 am

I will not be reading the comic any more. I thought the S8 run was just horrible, and for too many reasons to explain here. The writers lost sight of what made the show so good- focus on characters, not on scenery, not on one character to the exclusion of all others. And they violated their canon in som any ways- Angel is no longer who he was. And they painted themselves into a corner that they did not understand- they gave us cosmic sex, which leaves them in this quandary- either the universe made Buffy and Angel have sex- in which case Buffy was raped, since she did not have agency in the having of the sex- or Buffy had sex with her abuser, a man trying to destroy the universe. Either way, it ain't a good thing. And in this case, this is not normal Joss, who would not normally have written such a poor storyline, and would have realized the implications of said storyline. But they were so focused on the story, they did not even considerhow it might be read. And then there is Buffy Satsu, lesbianism for titillation, not for emotional resonance. And Willow cheating on Kennedy? C'mon.
He hurt my nose!
Dana5140
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Postby tankiawee » Fri May 13, 2011 6:28 am

It's not the first time, but I hear you there. The S7 run was quite bad as well. My personal hypothesis on what happened in S7+S8 is that the writing team had a subtext-otomy. They basically rained anvils from the sky (addiction "metaphor" my #$%^&ing ass, it was in bold, underline and italics). They had a destination and dictated the story around it, not the other way around.

I get the feeling that the S8 story was plotted out on a blackboard with a singular theme written in big block letters at the top, and whenever someone raises a plot point, the chalk-holder is compelled to ask,"And what does this have to do with <points to THEME>." That's the more charitable version. In the less charitable version, it's all written in crayon. And not a yellow one either.

I'll pick up a couple issues. If they're both of a quality comparable to S8 #40, I'll keep at it. If not, well, I'll just keep loading those quality fanfics into my Kindle.

Btw, offtopic, but have you read a fanfic called Days of Grace, Dana?
tankiawee
Wolf Cub
Wolf Cub

Postby Dana5140 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:34 pm

No, I have not- can you direct me to it? Thanks!
He hurt my nose!
Dana5140
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Postby tankiawee » Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm

http://mysticmuse.net/authors/w.y.back/daysofgrace.htm

Fair warning, it's not finished, but it's still one of my favourites. The other is At Any Cost.

http://www.jasmydae.com/wt/stories/Dart ... /index.php
tankiawee
Wolf Cub
Wolf Cub

Postby Dana5140 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:46 am

I'm on 'em, and will respond back when done reading.... Thanks for sending links!
He hurt my nose!
Dana5140
Frightens Jet Wolf
Frightens Jet Wolf

Postby DigiEmissary » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:01 pm

There are a few more chapters of Days of Grace on LJ: http://days-of-grace.livejournal.com/.
DigiEmissary
Better Than Toast
Better Than Toast

PreviousNext

Return to Home of the Big Brewin' Evil